Accpac Tips And Tricks – Adjusting Entries For Control Accounts
In this Accpac Tips & Tricks post we will tell you about adjusting entries for control accounts, adjusting the book balance in bank services and how to look up the errors for an error batch.
Adjusting Entries For Control Accounts
Good accounting practices require you to ensure the balances in your General Ledger (GL) control accounts such as Accounts Payable(AP) and Accounts Receivable (AR) match the balances in the subledger. Sage ERP Accpac has built-in controls to prevent transactions from other sources being posted to control accounts. A GL account designated as the control account for a subledger only can accept transactions that originate from that subledger. However, you may occasionally find an out-of-balance condition due to damaged data or power interruptions that require you to make a GL Journal Entry (JE) to directly adjust the balance in a subledger control account.
In this example, we show how make a GL JE in an AP control account. Directly from the GL module, perform the following steps:
- Log on to a company and expand GL in the explorer pane and click GL Accounts.
- In the windows pane, open Accounts.
- Using the account finder, select an AP control account.
- Click the Subledger tab. Only AP will be listed in the Subledger table.
- Click anywhere inside the Subledger table and press INSERT to create a new entry.
- With a new line highlighted, click the table heading to open the subledger finder.
- In the finder, select the entry where Source Ledger is GL and Source Type is JE and click Select.
- Click Save in the GL Accounts window to save the information.
- A JE can now be made which will affect the AP control account.
Once this journal entry has been entered and posted, the setup information for this control account may be reverted back to its original setting.
How To Look Up The Errors For An Error Batch
When there is an error in a batch, the system may create an Error Batch upon posting of the batch. In this tip we show you how to find out what the error is.
- From Transaction Reports, select Posting Errors Report.
- Select the error report type under the Select Error Report, and enter the Posting Sequence of the batch that you attempted to post.
- The resulting report will provide you with the error details for the batch.
- Open the Error Batch to correct the errors
- Post the corrected Error Batch.
Adjusting The Book Balance In Bank Services
The Book Balance is found under the Summary tab in Reconcile Statements. The Book Balance figure is not taken from the GL accounts. It is calculated from the last closing book balance, plus deposts from AR, minus withdrawals from AP and Payroll. It incudes any write off entries, adjustment entries, manual deposits and manual checks entered in Bank Services.
The Book Balance should always equal the GL account balance. However, if there is a previously incorrect bank reconciliation, the balances may not agree. Once an out-of-balance condition occurs, all future reconciliations may be off. You can correct this by making an offsetting entry to bring the book balance amount equal to the GL account balance.
Note: Make sure there are no transactions reconciled and Bank Entries entered before performing the following steps, otherwise, the amount to enter in Bank Entry will be different.
Here are the steps:
- Backup the database.
- Enter a Statement Balance, ensuring that the Adjusted Statement Balance is equal to Adjusted Book Balance.
- Create a Bank Entry for the difference in balances.
- Post the bank reconciliation.
- Delete the GL batch.
- Review your Bank Reconciliation to make sure there are no out-of-balance values that have been posted.
From this point on, GL Account Balance and Bank Services Book Balance amounts should be equal.