MAS 90/200 P.O. Tips And Tricks
Processing returns and reversals may be a relatively infrequent task, so when the need arises, you may be unsure of the proper steps. Here we cover step-by-step how to process a Purchase Order return of goods, in MAS 90/200, as well as how to reverse a Purchase Order receipt of invoice if the information was entered incorrectly. We finish up with applying the resulting credits in Accounts Payable.
Processing A Purchase Order Return Of Goods
- Open Purchase Order/Mat Req/Return/Return of Goods Entry.
- Click the # button for the next available return number. Note how your selections will affect the final entry:
* The purchase order number field is optional. Entering the original purchase order number will reduce the quantity received on that purchase order so it can be received again. It also will provide an audit trail in Receipt History referencing that purchase order number.
* Leave the invoice number field blank if a credit is not required on the vendor account in Accounts Payable. To create a credit on the vendorís account, enter an invoice number. The original invoice number cannot be used. Instead, you can reference the original invoice number by entering the number and adding an A or C to the end of the number.
- If the purchase order number is left blank, select the Vendor Number.
- On the Lines tab, either enter (if no PO number was used) or select (if using a PO number) the item number being returned, filling in amounts for the Ordered, Received, and Returned quantity, and click the OK button.
- On the Totals tab, click the Accept button.
- Print and post the Return Order Register and the Daily Transaction Register. The date you use to post the Return Order Register will be the date associated with the transaction in the Inventory Management and General Ledger modules.
Note: If both the PO Number and Invoice Number fields are left blank on the return, the transaction will impact only Inventory Management.
Important: Inventory cost will be relieved based on the valuation method of the item and using the Item Cost Hierarchy. For example: an Average cost item will be relieved at the current average cost; a FIFO item will relieve the first cost tier, this may not be the same tier that was created for the receipt.
Reversing A Receipt Of Invoice
Reversing a Purchase Order Receipt Of Invoice is accomplished by entering a negative receipt of invoice, as follows:
- Select Purchase Order/Main/Receipt of Invoice Entry.
- Click on the # button to select the next Receipt of Invoice number.
- Select the Purchase Order.
- Enter an Invoice Number.
- Select the Lines tab.
- Click Yes to Invoice Complete Purchase Order to display all lines. Or click No if you want to manually enter the lines.
- Select a line, or enter line information as needed, and enter a negative quantity in the Invoiced field.
- Click OK.
- Repeat steps 6 through 8 for all lines.
- Select the Totals tab. Confirm that the invoice amount is a negative figure, and click Accept.
- Click the Printer icon to print or preview the register.
Applying Credits To Accounts Payable Invoices
Both of the previous tips will result in a credit invoice in Accounts Payable. Use the following steps to apply the credit invoice to the original invoice.
Note: These steps apply to Version 4.20 and greater.
- 1. Open Accounts Payable/Main/Manual Check Entry.
- Enter the bank code.
Note: A bank code must be entered but does not affect the entry because it does not post to any General Ledger account.
- Type APP and a number from 1 to 999 in the Check No field (For example, APP0001). The Check Amount field should be zero and cannot be changed.
- Click the Header tab, and at the Vendor No field, select the vendor number to apply the credit memo.
- Click the Lines tab.
- At the Invoice No field, select the credit memo to be applied. The credit invoice information appears.
- At the Invoice No field, select the invoice to apply the credit memo. The invoice information appears.
- At the Invoice Amount field, change the invoice amount to reflect the positive amount of the credit memo, if necessary.
- The check distribution amount should be zero. Click Accept.
- Print and update the Manual Check Register.
Please give us a call with any questions.