Understanding RMA Statuses in Sage 100 ERP
The status of an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) is automatically updated as the RMA is processed as follows:
- When an RMA first is created, the status is New.
- After the customer RMA is printed, the status is Open.
- If it is not completely received, and documents are generated using Generate Transactions, the status is Partially Received.
- If it has been completely received, the status is updated to Received, and the RMA is removed from the RMA Entry file and is updated to the RMA Receipts History file.
- If the credit limit has been exceeded, the RMA will be manually placed on Hold.
Cross-shipped items are replacement goods sent immediately to a customer while the customer is sending the original item back. The two items paths’ cross in shipping. Cross-shipped items are invoiced at the customer’s usual price. Credit memos for returned items are generated when the original item is received. To use the cross-shipped items feature:
- Open Return Merchandise Authorization /Main/RMA Entry, and click the Lines tab. For each line item you want to cross-ship, select Replacement at the Customer Action field and select the CS check box.Note: To automatically select the CS check box for the selected line item, select the Cross Ship check box on the Return Merchandise Authorization Entry Header tab.
- The Xpress Sales Order button opens the Sales Order Entry window, creating a new sales order using the information entered in the RMA Entry window.Note: If you have multiple cross-ship items, one sales order is created for all replacement items.
How Restocking Charges Are Calculated
Restocking charges are administrative charges that may be charged to the customer for return merchandise. If a restocking charge applies to the inventory item being returned, the restocking charge appears as a separate line on the credit memo and reduces the amount of the credit.
The restocking method and amount is based on the following:
- The Restocking Charge Method and Restocking Charge Amount fields on the Options tab in Inventory Maintenance.
- Charges assigned to the miscellaneous charge code selected in the Restocking Charge Code field in RMA Options.Note: The miscellaneous charge code is set up in Miscellaneous Charge Maintenance in Sales Order.
Restocking charges are calculated only if all of the following conditions are true:
- The Calculate Restocking Charges check box is selected (RMA Options).
- A valid miscellaneous charge code is selected.
- Customer Action = Credit on the Lines tab in RMA Entry and/or RMA Receipts Entry.
- The Apply Restocking Charges check box is selected on the Header tab in RMA Entry.
Restocking charges are not calculated under the following conditions:
- Customer Action = Replacement or Repair on the Lines tab in RMA Entry or RMA Receipts Entry.
- The DS check box is selected on the Lines tab in RMA Entry or RMA Receipts Entry.
Restocking charges are automatically recalculated under the following conditions:
- The value changes at the Return Qty field on the Lines tab in RMA Entry or in RMA Receipts Entry.
- The value changes at the Unit Price field on the Lines tab in RMA Entry or in RMA Receipts Entry—and Item Price is selected in the Restocking Charge Method field in Inventory Maintenance.
- The value changes at the Unit Cost field on the Lines tab in RMA Entry or in RMA Receipts Entry, and % Item Cost is selected in the Restocking Charge Method field in Inventory Maintenance.
- The selection is changed in Customer Action field on the Lines tab in RMA Entry or in RMA Receipts Entry.
Restocking charges can be overridden under the following conditions:
- The user has appropriate permissions.
- The Allow Changes to Restocking Charges check box is selected on the Main tab in RMA Options.Note: Override the restocking charges only after changing the values in the Return Qty, Unit Price, Unit Cost, and Customer Action fields on the Lines tab in RMA Entry or in RMA Receipts Entry. Changes to these fields recalculate restocking charges.
Restocking charges appear for each line item on the secondary grid on the Lines tab in RMA Entry. When documents are generated, the restocking charges appear on credit memos based on the item number. To consolidate restocking charges as a single miscellaneous charge in credit memos, select the Consolidate Restocking Charges During Generation check box in RMA Options.
Please call us for assistance with your RMA questions.