2018 Technology Forecast: The Role of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning
What can we expect to see in 2018? An accelerated push towards digital-transformation, as the Internet of Things (IoT) increasingly expands into every layer of business and as Artificial Intelligence (AI) and machine learning continues to transform everyday thing.
Experts at world leading research firm Gartner coined the phrase “Intelligent Digital Mesh” to describe the entwining of people, devices, content and services enabled by digital models, intelligent services and business platforms. This mesh is broken down into ten strategic technology trends with broad industry impact and significant potential for disruption in the near future.
In a recent report, Gartner highlight these 10 trends and how they will transform the way we do business in the coming years:
- There will be increasing ability to use AI to enhance decision making, reinvent business models and ecosystems, and remake the customer experience.
- AI will be incorporated at some level into every app, application and service.
- AI and machine learning will increasingly appear in a variety of objects ranging from smart healthcare equipment to autonomous harvesting robots for farms.
- A digital representation of a real-world entity or system called digital twins will exist for billions of things in the near future.
- Businesses will begin using cloud and edge capabilities in their infrastructure architectures.
- Conversational platforms will drive a paradigm shift in which the burden of translating intent will shift from user to computer and will continue to evolve to even more complex actions.
- Augmented reality (AR), virtual reality (VR) and mixed reality combined with conversational platforms will fundamental shift the user experience to an invisible and immersive experience.
- Blockchain, a shared, distributed, decentralized and tokenized ledger that removes business friction by being independent of individual applications or participants, holds the promise to change many industries.
- With the advent of AI, the IoT, and other technologies, business events which constitutes of situation that calls for some specific business action can be detected more quickly and analyzed in greater detail.
- Continuous adaptive risk and trust assessment (CARTA) allows for real-time, risk and trust-based decision making with adaptive responses to security-enable digital business. To implement this, businesses should integrate security into their DevOps efforts and explore deception technologies to catch infiltrators.
Read the full post here to see the detailed top 10 technology trends for 2018 and how enterprises can adopt these trends across all levels of the organization.