Tips on Selecting the Right Partner for Your Chemical Manufacturing ERP Implementation
When chemical manufacturers are selecting an ERP solution and service provider, one size does not fit all. While the ERP software must address and satisfy chemical -specific needs for functionality, scalability, and complexity, the ERP service provider should have a proven track record helping companies like yours achieve the operational excellence required to realize optimal profitability and grow the business.
The right implementation partner is to bring the ERP software to life. Here is brief outline of what to look for when selecting an ERP services provider for your Chemical enterprise:
- First, select the software that best addresses the chemical industry and your company’s specific needs. A good start is to ensure that the provider can support all the capabilities that are unique to the chemical industry, and serves as a robust development platform so that you can augment the capabilities with any unique needs you may have. It’s always good to look at the number and caliber of both solution partners and 3rd party ISV’s that are in the ERP platform provider’s ecosystem.
- Define the selection criteria with system stakeholders: Is geographical proximity important? Do I need custom development capabilities? What kind of support turnaround times do I need? Does the service provider have any other capabilities I might need (staff augmentation, etc.)? What’s the financial viability of the service provider? Then determine if each of these criteria are “must have” or “nice to have”.
- Shortlist the top Chemical ERP partners that have deep experience with your selected technology, the chemical manufacturing industry, and then go through a discovery process to see how each of them measure up against your criteria. Start with the evaluation of no more than three providers. More can become unwieldy.
- Be certain that the provider has the ability to support other systems you may have in place, as you likely have a CRM, eCommerce, HCM, as well as Business Intelligence tools that will require some data integration. It’s also useful to ensure that the provider has a great track record with other ISV solutions that you may need, either now or in the future.
- Check references, and evaluate them with a discerning eye. Think about both the similarities and the differences between your situation and that of the reference – specific to chemical manufacturing and ERP.
- Most of all, be certain that you and your team can develop open and effective communication channels with the service provider. This relationship is likely to be a long one, and a major foundation for a successful project is effective communication.
If you execute against these recommendations, you are well on your way to selecting a great service provider to assist you in modernizing your Chemical Manufacturing ERP and business management systems.